Friday, December 28, 2007

Retirement of Sumner

According to a Springfield Armory Ordnance Department memo dated 23 March 1950, Grampa Harris retired 31 March 1950 after 21 years of service at the Armory. It indicates that he was employed by the Armory on two occassions, first as a Gage Maker from 9 October 1919 to 30 June 1921, and again as a Toomaker from 27 November 1933 to his retirement. The memo was signed by M.K. Barroll, Jr., Colonel, Ord Dept, Commanding.

I know Grampa was instrumental in helping my mom get a job at the Armory. Also John Harrigan worked at the Armory, I believe at the Watershops location. I had always felt that Pa had retired young, because at that time I was 7, but he was close to 70 and only lived less than 4 years after retiring. What did Pa do for work from 1921 to 1933? Questions are always coming up that I wished I had asked my mom about.

No comments: