Gammie was to me always old. I don't think she ever received proper medical care and certainly has osteoporosis probably due to a lack of calcium and had a pronounced hump in her back. She was a real sweetheart and I loved her deeply. We would play the card game scat and she would let me win. As a sidenote I recall John Harrigan would knock before he even picked up his cards to see his hand. Gammie called me 'Donnie Boy" and was always concerned that I carried too many things in my pockets and they weighted me down and would stunt my growth. Maybe that's what happened to me. I think her favorite was "Billy Boy" Buster and Stella's son and I am glad that she was spared from his untimely death. Gram also had a goiter that caused her real difficulty in eating and would often leave the table chocking from the food. I also recall Pa driving her to downtown Springfield and giving her $20 to spend! My mother said that when they lived on Monroe street Gammie would go door to door in Longmeadow selling candles. Ma said that Gram enjoyed seeing how the rich lived and of course Gram's family in Northampton was very well to do but somehow lost much of their $. Her dad, John Sackett, is buried in Oak Grove Cemetery not that far from Gram and Grampa Harris. John had no marker and the family had one erected in the 80s. Grandma Gray is also buried nearby. She also was a dear gentle lady that would often babysit Faith and I.
Scat rules at: http://www.pagat.com/draw/scat.html
Friday, December 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment