Friday, December 28, 2007

Gammie and Pa at Lead Mine

My father always spoke reverently about Grampa Harris (who he called Pa). It seemed as though Grampa filled in some major gaps in my father's life when he was growing up. It sounds like Grampa spread his love and attention around back then. I have very vague memories of him. I guess I was 5 years old when he passed on. I suppose that the bulk of my "memories" might actually consist of pictures that I have seen of him with Dad (and a string of hunting quarry in the background). I don't recall conversations with Pa, or interacting with him in any meaningful way. I have a much more vivid recollection of Gram (I called her "Gammie"). I recall that she loved licorice, and I can directly attribute my own craving for it to her (and her stash). It's funny, though, that I don't remember her saying that much. I can still hear echoes of her vocalizing "OOOooooohhhhh, OOOooooohhh" when she was trying to get our attention. (It will come as no surprise to know that automatic spell checker doesn't recognize Gommie, nor does it recognize OOOoooohhhh). She kept a commanding view of the lake and of all of us who happened by.

No comments: