Tuesday, January 8, 2008
Pete, Camp and Capture the Flag
I recall that when Leon showed up at camp it was a big deal. He always had a nice car, usually a Packard, that was the envy of all. One of his Packards if you stood on the rear bumper a motor would come on and automatically level the car so we all had great fun jumping on the bumper and taking a ride. Pete was my playmate when he was there and I remember one time he had two cap gun pistols with holsters, man was he lucky. Sometimes we would play with toy boats and float them down the stream and was I appreciative when Vera suggested that he leave them behind with me! I also stayed with Pete and his parents at Ft. Devens in what I considered a brick mansion. Leon was Chief of Staff so he was an important guy. We went to the officer's club, performance of Russian dancers, movies, etc. Man I thought Leon was a king with all of his subjects waiting on him. Private parking with NCOs opening the car door and doing all the chores around the house. One day we also went into the Boston boat show for a treat. I recently revisited Ft Devens and found the house. All the houses are now privately owned and the base shut down and turned into a community. At camp I remember playing capture the flag and Leon used to play it for real. He even carried practice hand grenades in the trunk of his car that proved my point. I was usually captued first!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh my, how I had forgotten about the Packards...! then, as I recall, Grandpa Gladding went on to the Ramblers. Indeed a visit to FT. Devens to the brick mansion was not only a treat but such a feeling of priviledge. Still being at camp was the best of best!!! It was there where most of my fondest family memories originate. Don't know if the reason for my fondness for the place is that Grandma Gladding adored it so, or because it the only place that brought joy to Mom when she had little life or joy left in her.
Either way, Grandpa Harris was not only a kind man but a visonary one when he bought the land at Leadmine-he provided a piece of heaven on earth to so many of us.
HELLO DON, GREAT TO HAVE FOUND YOUR BLOG AND LOOK BACK AT TIME PASSED AND FAMILY- I HAD A CHANCE TO SPEND LOTS OF TIME WITH GRANPA GLADDING DURING HIS LAST YEARS AFTER WE RELOCATED TO Sturbridge IN 1964- THAT SUMMER I WORKED FOR HIM WHEN THE ORCHARD INN WAS IN CONSTRUCTION AND RODE TO AND FROM WORK - LUNCH AT TURNERS TAVERN WHERE SOMETIMES HE WOULD DO UNEXPECTEDLY DO A FLIP- AFTER HE SHOWED ME HOW TO PLAY CHESS AND CRIBBAGE I LOOK FORWARD IN THE EVENINGS TO PLAYING- I REALLY APPRECIATED THE TIME AND ATTENTION HE DEVOTED TO ME DURING THOSE LAST DIFFICULT DAYS- HAVING OUR GREAT TIMES INTERRUPTED BY HIS PAIN AND SUFFERING AND DEATH ANGERED ME TO THIS DAY-NOT UNTIL AFTER HIS DEATH DID I BEGIN TO LEARN ABOUT HIM AND THE LEGEND HE LEFT BEHIND- MAYBE HE WAS AS IMPORTANT FIGURE TO ME AS GRANPA HARRIS WAS TO YOU? AND CARS; HE STORED THE BLACK PACKARD IN THE BARN AND IT WAS LATER PASSED TO PETE- HIS NEW CHOICE WAS THE PONTIAC CATALINA WAGON
Post a Comment