Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Blueberry Picking and Dupree
Many a day I spent w/ Pa picking blueberries near leadmine. I have often thought whether I could find that blueberry patch again. It was all hi-bush and Pa would rig up a blueberry pail for me that hung around my neck. We would go in off of what I guess was leadmine road and follow stonewalls and go deep into the woods. I recall being scared when I couldn't hear Pa and would call out and he would admonish me to be still. It must have been that we were on Dupree’s (sp?) property and for whatever reason that guy didn’t want us there. He was just mean to all and I recall one time when we returned to Pa's Nash car he found that the gas had been siphoned off. Pa immediately accused Dupree. On another occasion while walking with Dave and others after a time of blueberry picking we ran into Dupree and he made us dump our pails of blueberries on the ground. Remember Dave? On those occasions when Pa and I returned with our pails full [Pa was a much better picker!] it was down to the lake to wash up with "yellow" soap so that we wouldn't get poison ivy. Then it was the cleaning of the berries to take out the twigs and other foreign material. Then often times I would go door-to-door around the lake peddling my pickings. Perhaps someday I will see if I can locate that patch again. Can't believe Dupree could catch me this time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment